Wednesday 13 June 2007

Trust me I'm a Teacher

Why is it I can't help telling stories to the kids I teach. Normally in life someone who has to lie about their life lacks conficence in who they really are (have done but trying to stop it and be honest about myself, trying mind). But this is different. I have an idea for a lesson, i want to get their interest so a make up a story.

I'm teaching adaptation and I tell them about the rat people in Prague who live in the sewers. They went down there during the war to escape the Nazis and never came out. Now they look like rats with large eyes, sensitive noses and even whiskers. I told them I would bag one and bring it home.(I'm sure some of this is true)

I'm telling them about genetic engineering and go off on a story about how KFC have produced chickens shaped like balls with no necks for extra efficiency. there is also a version with extra legs for the KFC bucket! (got into trouble with that one, they have to tell their parents don't they.)

And did you know trachea comes from the roman word for tractor - nor did I until it came out one day.

Today I told them how I worked for the police as a blood splatter expert and went into gruesome detail about splatter patterns when you hit someone with an axe. That crime apparently I managed to solve almost single handedly.

Thing is kids are fantastically gullible and I can't help it. So the next time you meet someone and they give you an outrageuos 'fact' they 'learnt' at school don't put them right, leave them. It makes for a much more interesting world.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Hiya,
Good to see you blogging again - great to read.

I'm reading other people's blogs as an excuse not to do any work, or blog myself.

Oh, and I'll remember your technique next time I'm trying to explain something I have no idea about to Jack.
xx

Occasional Poster of Comments said...

Excellent. Misinforming the nation's youth one child at a time :) Well, probably about 30 at a time, but anyway.

Good to see you back.

David M N Bate said...

Keep the myths, legends, fables, and down right blatant lies, coming, Teacher Man. Let's face it, the ones who purport to be the most honest in this world are actually the ones telling the biggest lies of all. And while yours cause no harm, other than the awkwardness of the embarrassment that comes with realising you've been had, theirs ... don't get me started!

Petink said...

Bless you all, good to be back and getting active on this thing. Thanks for the support x

Jen said...

dem parents do it too

Easter bunny, tooth fairy, father christmas .....