Sunday 10 June 2007

Back to what I know

I have left this for so long because I couldn't think of what to put down. What do I have to share? What witticisms do I have to contibute to the vast sphere of blogging?

So why start contributing now? Because I am going back to something that I found I love. I am retuning back to a life that I gave up and then missed terribly. I am returning to be a teacher.

Last year, after twelve hard years of teaching, moving from lowly newby teacher to award winning head of department, I gave it all up to retrain as a gardener. I thought I had done my time in teaching and wanted to see what the world had to offer outside the school asylum. However, after digging too many holes, on my own, in the middle of a field; after talking to too many plants in polytunnels; after wondering why I was just so damned bored, I finally twigged that I missed it all.

I missed the relationships you have with over a thousand people each day, the buzz and energy of performing every hour to a less than enthusiastic audience, the feeling of being involved in shaping some sort of future for someone other than yourself, the laughter, the frustration and the feeling of reaching the end of the week and you bloody deserve a drink.

I love teaching. I think I have the best job in the world for me. I thought that maybe I was missing out but I'm not. I know what I'm good at and this is it and over the next few posts (maybe a lot more) I'm going to let you in to my world. The one where kids set light to rockets down corridors, where they throw stools at strangers, where they get stoned, fight, swear, cry, scream but one where they smile, laugh, love and make me feel that somehow they care and our future will be alright.

I love this world and I love them, so welcome and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments: